Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Counting Blessings

In honor of today, during which a great many people are advocating Marriage Equality, I thought I'd celebrate how far we have come (as there are so many others who could more precisely outline how far we still have to go).

I'm thankful for the great number of agents, editors, and other publishing professionals who seek out books with LGBT characters or themes.
But let's not forget that there are a great many books with LGBT characters already out there. You may also notice that many of these are/have been on various bestseller lists......

The Vampire Chronicles (Lestat, Armand...basically all of them at one point or another)
Hero (Thom)
The Gemma Doyle Trilogy (Pippa)
The Hunger Games (Cinna)
The Diviners (Henry)
the Gone series (Dekka, Edilio, Roger)
The Mortal Instruments series (Alec, Magnus)

and let us not forget my personal role-model, the old wizard I aspire to be: Albus Dumbledore from the Harry Potter series (as if that needed explanation).

These are just the books that I can think of off the top of my head. These are books you know about, have passed in bookstores on the bestseller rack, have read about online and in the paper. In the literary realm LGBT people are everywhere - just like in reality - and that is a beautiful thing.
We continue to struggle for equality everywhere, but not in the pages of books, not in the hearts of readers, and not in the minds of writers. For that, I am so thankful.

Feel free to share books with LGBT characters I haven't already listed below!

Until we meet again...







No comments:

Post a Comment